Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Please note: Since the initial posting of these credits, some of the original Website links have been deactivated, as they are no longer viable.
- Dr. Daniel Hale Williams - unpaged plates following p. 158
Vanessa Northington Gamble. "Making a Place for Ourselves; the Black Hospital Movement, 1920-1945." Oxford University Press, New York, 1995.
- Dr. William Augustus Hinton - dust/book jacket
William A. Hinton. "Syphilis and Its Treatment." Macmillan, New York, 1936.
- Dr. Charles Richard Drew - p. 134
Spencie Love. "One Blood: the Death and Resurrection of Charles R. Drew." University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC, 1996
- Dr. James Francis Shober - picture of portrait displayed in the Helen Hagan Rare Book Room Randall Library Special Collections, Web page created by Earla Pope and updated by Patricia B. McGee. Last Update: July 7, 1998.
- Dr. David Satcher - portrait while serving as both Surgeon General and Assistant Secretary for Health
Profiles in Science, National Library of Medicine, "The Reports of the Surgeon General"
- Dr. Ben Carson - Picture from book cover posted at Amazon.com, Ben Carson, M.D., with Cecil Murphey. "Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story." HarperPaperbacks, New York, 1993, c1990.
- Dr. Mae C. Jemison
National Aeronautics and Space Administration, "Biographical Data"
- Dr. Charles DeWitt Watts
Duke Medicine Office of News and Communications, Duke University Medical Center
- Herbert M. Morais. "The History of the Afro-American in Medicine." The Publishers Agency, Inc., Cornwells Heights, Pennsylvania (under the auspices of The Association for the Study of Afro-American Life and History), 1976.
- Please Note: All of the pictures listed below (with the exception of Freedmen's Hospital) were noted as being in the private collection of the United Publishing Corporation, Washington, DC.
- Dr. George Cleveland Hall - p. 77
- Dr. Austin Maurice Curtis, Sr. - p. 79
- Dr. Nathan Francis Mossell - p.80
- Mary Eliza Mahoney - p. 71
- Dr. James McCune Smith - p. 31
- Howard University Medical School - p. 41
- Meharry Medical College - p. 93
- Leonard Medical School - p. 61
- Freedmen's Hospital - p. 96
- Provident Hospital - p. 76
- Lincoln Hospital - p. 54
P. Preston Reynolds. "Watts Hospital of Durham, North Carolina, 1895-1976: Keeping the Doors Open." Fund for the Advancement of Science and Mathematics Education in North Carolina, North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, Durham, NC, 1991.
- Health Insurance - Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore, John Merrick, and C.C. Spaulding - p. 17
P. Preston Reynolds. "Durham's Lincoln Hospital." Arcadia, Charleston, SC, 2001.