Please note: Since the initial posting of these credits, some of the original Website links have been deactivated, as they are no longer viable.
- Dr. Daniel Hale Williams - unpaged plates following p. 158
Vanessa Northington Gamble. "Making a Place for Ourselves; the Black Hospital Movement, 1920-1945." Oxford University Press, New York, 1995.
- Dr. William Augustus Hinton - dust/book jacket
William A. Hinton. "Syphilis and Its Treatment." Macmillan, New York, 1936.
- Dr. Charles Richard Drew - p. 134
Spencie Love. "One Blood: the Death and Resurrection of Charles R. Drew." University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC, 1996
- Dr. James Francis Shober - picture of portrait displayed in the Helen Hagan Rare Book Room Randall Library Special Collections, Web page created by Earla Pope and updated by Patricia B. McGee. Last Update: July 7, 1998.
- Dr. David Satcher - portrait while serving as both Surgeon General and Assistant Secretary for Health
Profiles in Science, National Library of Medicine, "The Reports of the Surgeon General"
- Dr. Ben Carson - Picture from book cover posted at Amazon.com, Ben Carson, M.D., with Cecil Murphey. "Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story." HarperPaperbacks, New York, 1993, c1990.
- Dr. Mae C. Jemison
National Aeronautics and Space Administration, "Biographical Data"
- Dr. Charles DeWitt Watts
Duke Medicine Office of News and Communications, Duke University Medical Center
- Herbert M. Morais. "The History of the Afro-American in Medicine." The Publishers Agency, Inc., Cornwells Heights, Pennsylvania (under the auspices of The Association for the Study of Afro-American Life and History), 1976.
- Please Note: All of the pictures listed below (with the exception of Freedmen's Hospital) were noted as being in the private collection of the United Publishing Corporation, Washington, DC.
- Dr. George Cleveland Hall - p. 77
- Dr. Austin Maurice Curtis, Sr. - p. 79
- Dr. Nathan Francis Mossell - p.80
- Mary Eliza Mahoney - p. 71
- Dr. James McCune Smith - p. 31
- Howard University Medical School - p. 41
- Meharry Medical College - p. 93
- Leonard Medical School - p. 61
- Freedmen's Hospital - p. 96
- Provident Hospital - p. 76
- Lincoln Hospital - p. 54
P. Preston Reynolds. "Watts Hospital of Durham, North Carolina, 1895-1976: Keeping the Doors Open." Fund for the Advancement of Science and Mathematics Education in North Carolina, North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, Durham, NC, 1991.
- Health Insurance - Dr. Aaron McDuffie Moore, John Merrick, and C.C. Spaulding - p. 17
P. Preston Reynolds. "Durham's Lincoln Hospital." Arcadia, Charleston, SC, 2001.