Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Pre-Appraised Resources (background & summary info, less appraisal needed)
Access to over 90 medical textbooks, thousands of images, interactive self-assessment, case files, diagnostic tools, and point of care tools.
ACP Journal Club
Provides a structured abstract with commentary to an original study selected by its sound methodology and clinical relevance.
Provides over 1000 eBooks, thousands of images/videos, guidelines, procedures, calculators, diagnostic tools, and point of care tools.
Jump into UpToDate OR a variety of other databases: Dynamed, ACP Journal Club, Cochrane Library, ClinicalKey, Lexicomp, PubMed, & MedlinePlus.
Includes systematic reviews, clinical trials and economic evaluations with high-quality evidence to inform decision making.
Database of clinical topic summaries, with grading the quality of evidence cited, designed primarily for point-of-care use. Use alongside UpToDate.
Information on dietary supplements, natural medicines, and complementary alternative and integrative therapies.
Rational Clinical Exam (series from JAMA)
Articles focus on diagnosis through physical examination. This series now includes over 40 articles studying the validity of individual components of the physical examination.
TRIP (Turning Research into Practice)
Search engine for EBM Websites: journals, guidelines, systematic reviews.
An evidence-based clinical decision support system offering a combination of the evidence and expert physician commentary. Use alongside DynaMed Plus.
Additional Sources for Guidelines
Many other databases also provide access to guidelines including PubMed, CINAHL, DynaMed Plus, UpToDate, Trip, and ClinicalKey. Select a database and conduct a search on the specific condition (e.g. asthma) of interest, then in:
- PubMed - look under the Article Types section to the left of the results, click on the Customize link, select Practice Guideline, click Show, and then click on the Practice Guideline option that is now displaying under Article Types.
- CINAHL - look to the left of the results, click on Show More under the Data Limit slider, find the Publication Type box and select Practice Guidelines, and then click Search.
- DynaMed - select a specific monograph on the topic (e.g. asthma in adults and adolescents), scroll down in the Topic outline on the left, and click on the Guidelines and Resources section.
- UpToDate - select a specific monograph on the topic (e.g. an overview of asthma management), scroll down in the Topic outline on the left, and click on the Society Guideline Links section.
- Trip - Look to the right of the results and select the Guidelines by evidence type.
- ClinicalKey - look to the left of the results and select the Guidelines option.
PubMed is the key database in medicine. It contains articles on diseases, treatments, models of care, medical education, health reform, and other topics relevant to this course. To get the best results out of PubMed,
- Identify the key concepts in your topic.
- Go to the Advanced Search page and search for them individually; add each term to the history and check the Details after each search to ensure you've found a good subject heading (called a MeSH term) for each concept.
- If you were not automatically mapped to a good MeSH term, search the MeSH database for the best heading for your concept.
- Use the Advanced Search page to combine your searches (OR together synonyms, AND all topics that must be in your final results)
- Use Limits page to narrow by study type, language, etc.
Extensive help information, including short videos and PDFs are available on the Medical Center Library's PubMed Tutorial and Training page.
General Practice Guidelines - Collections