The Duke libraries have an institutional partnership with PLOS to enable Duke authors to publish in all PLOS journals for no article processing fees.
Who is eligible to participate?
- Any corresponding author affiliated with Duke University, Duke Health, and Duke Kunshan University is covered under this agreement. This includes faculty, staff, students, and residents.
How does the agreement work?
- Beginning in 2023, the PLOS agreement provides Duke corresponding authors with unlimited, no-fee publishing in all twelve PLOS journals.
- While there are different business models for publication fees for PLOS journals, this agreement ensures that Duke corresponding authors will pay no fee for any article accepted at any PLOS journal.
- The author experience will vary slightly according to the three different business models for PLOS journal and this agreement will cover all publication fees regardless of business model. The three models are:
- PLOS Community Action Publishing (CAP): includes PLOS Medicine, PLOS Biology, and PLOS Sustainability and Transformation.
- Flat Fees: includes PLOS ONE, PLOS Genetics, PLOS Computational Biology, PLOS Pathogens, PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, and PLOS Digital Health.
- PLOS Global Equity model: includes PLOS Water, PLOS Climate, and PLOS Global Public Health.
- Duke-affiliated contributing authors for PLOS Biology, PLOS Medicine, and PLOS Sustainability and Transformation (CAP titles) receive a 25% discount on the article processing charge.
What journals are included?
- This agreement covers articles published in 12 PLOS journals: PLOS Biology, PLOS Climate, PLOS Computational Biology, PLOS Digital Health, PLOS Genetics, PLOS Global Public Health, PLOS Medicine, PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, PLOS ONE, PLOS Pathogens, PLOS Sustainability and Transformation, and PLOS Water.
How do I participate?
- Use your Duke email account when submitting the manuscript.
- List Duke University as your institutional affiliation.
- For the CAP titles, including PLOS Biology, PLOS Medicine, and PLOS Sustainability and Transformation, authors take no action until the article is accepted.
- For the Flat Fee and the Global Equity titles, including PLOS Climate, PLOS Computational Biology, PLOS Digital Health, PLOS Genetics, PLOS Global Public Health, PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, PLOS ONE, PLOS Pathogens, and PLOS Water.
- You need to properly self-identify during manuscript submission.
- At the payment step, you must select “My institution will fully or partially pay the fee” under “Publication Fees” and select “Duke University” from the drop-down.
How many articles can I publish for free under this agreement?
- Unlimited through the length of the agreement.
Where can I get more information?