Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Consider your audience
- Have a focused, succinct message
- Determine size requirements (how big should the poster be), what layout (square, landscape rectangle, etc)
- Use text sparingly with no large blocks of text
- Text size matters! Must be readable from 10 ft away. Approximate recommended sizes:
- 85+ pt for Title
- 56+ pt for Authors
- 36+ pt for Subheadings
- 24+ pt for Body text
- 18+ pt for Captions
- Group author names and affiliations
- Use images/tables/graphs to tell the story and engage reader
- Use images at least 150 dpi
- Include your contact information
- Have peers give you feedback prior to printing
- Use dark or heavy backgrounds
- Use more than 2-3 colors
- Forget to leave white (blank) space to keep your poster readable and uncluttered
- Use someone's else image without seeking permission or crediting your source
- Mix and match content boxes...most people start reading from the top left
- Have images that seem too small or blurry (will look worse once enlarged)
- Order too late!
- Rely only on the poster to tell your story, make sure you have 3-5 min verbal explanation ready
Content adapted from:
create your narrative icon by Vicons Design from the Noun Project
Spoonflower [Fabric] $
Very Affordable! Create custom-printed fabric posters in a lightweight, wrinkle-free fabric. The posters look good with crisp images and vibrant colors. Need ~10 days to receive final product via mail.
$$ Offers a 24 hour turn around, free delivery to Duke locations, & weekend printing and pick up (if arranged ahead of time).
PhD Posters [Paper or Fabric] $$
Very affordable paper, moderate pricing on fabric option. Pick up on campus near the Medical Library.
Kinkos/FedEx [Paper] $$$
Most expensive option. Offers Duke discount. Same day options. Much less restrictive on size options. Order online or stop by 9th Street location.