Recommended books about the history of the medical center, organized by publication date.
- The First Twenty Years: A History of the Duke University Schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Services, & Duke Hospital, 1930-1950, by Duke University Medical Center (1951)
- The First Forty Years at Duke in Surgery and the P.D.C., by Deryl Hart (1971)
- The Evolution of a Medical Center: A History of Duke Medicine to 1941, by James F. Gifford (1972)
- Stones, Bricks, & Faces: A Walking Guide to Duke University, by Marguerite E. Schumann, (1976)
- Davison of Duke: His Reminiscences, by Wilburt C. Davison (1980)
- Foundations for Excellence: 75 Years of Duke Medicine, by Walter Campbell (2006)
- Magic of Medicine at Duke: A History in Our Own Words, by R. Sanders William (2009)